Now that you have been admitted, your first step is to setup your myNMSU student account.
Your student account will give you access to:
- Student email account
- Canvas Learning Management System (your online classroom)
- Scholar Dollar$
- myNMSU portal for other important online functions
For assistance, contact the Information & Communication Technologies (ICT) Help Desk at 575-646-1840 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once your student account is setup, you can access your myNMSU student portal at my.nmsu.edu.
This portal is your central hub for access to:
- Student records
- Update personal information
- Academic records
- Account holds
- Class search
- Enroll in classes
- Textbook information
- Financial information
- Pay NMSU online payment system
- Scholar Dollar$ scholarship application
- Financial Aid status and awards
You can also find your Aggie ID (your NMSU ID number) at the top right of the page next to the Sign Out button. Simply click the arrow and a drop-down box will display your ID number.
Run through this quick checklist before you schedule an advising appointment. Ensure you are completely admitted, transfer credit is evaluated (if applicable), and you are ready for an advising session.
Ensure admissions process is complete:
- Confirm with Admissions that we have all required documents. If you are unsure, contact Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com or 575-646-3121/800-662-6678.
- Transfer students – you will receive notification that your transfer credit evaluation is complete.
- When you submit the application, it is sent directly to the academic program for review and a recommendation. If a recommendation has been made, you should have been contacted by the Graduate School via email with additional instructions.
Additional checklist items, if applicable to you:
Is advising required?
Advising holds are put in place to ensure that you have an opportunity to work with an advisor to make the most educated decisions about your upcoming semester and long term degree planning. All students are encouraged to speak with an academic advisor at least once a semester to stay on track toward completing their academic, career, and personal goals for being an NMSU student.
How do I view my holds?
Students can review all holds placed on their account via their my.nmsu.edu account. Using Quick links you can click Student Records and then View Holds.
- Hold Type (advising, university accounts receivable)
- Reason (why you have the hold)
- Originator (who placed the hold and who you should contact to complete the necessary steps to having it removed)
- Process Effected (registration, transcripts)
Who is my Advisor?
- Community College
- Students admitted to an associate’s or certificate program remain students of the community college and should be advised by the campus they’ve been admitted to. Each campus provides their own advising services:
- Schedule an appointment with the Center for Academic Advising and Student Support (CAASS)
- For the first appointment, students can find their advisor and schedule an advising appointment by calling the CAASS front desk. For subsequent appointments, students have the option to schedule an appointment online.
- Call the CAASS front desk at 575-646-2941. The staff will help you set up an advising appointment and let you know what you need to do to prepare for your advising appointment.
- Find your advisor and book an appointment online
- Prepare for appointment
- Review your STAR degree audit and any departmental advising materials
- Consider the number of credit hours/courses you plan on taking (it’ll help your advisor plan your schedule)
- Be prepared with questions for your advisor
- Graduate students will be advised by their respective graduate program advisor at the departmental level. If you are unsure of who your advisor is, the NMSU Online Student Program Coordinator can connect you.